Hello, American Rental Association (ARA) Region Ten members. I’m Mike Carleton, president of Happenings Party Rentals in Collingwood, Ontario, and a member of the ARA of Canada Task Force. This is a special advisory team made up of Canadian members that was formed last year with the goal of furthering the association’s presence across Canada. I’m pleased to have this opportunity to report on the progress the Task Force has seen during the past year.
- Early in 2022, ARA’s Ready-to-Rent tags, the association’s most popular risk management product for streamlining equipment safety programs and keeping service records up to date, became available in Canada (printed from Canada and shipped from Canada). You can call ARA member services at 800-334-2177 for details on ordering.
- In June, the first in-person ARA member meeting was hosted at Cooper Equipment Rentals in Richmond, British Columbia. This was a well-attended, informative gathering that included some great face-to-face peer interactions (after long periods of pandemic-enforced isolation) and news on the latest ARA offerings. Thanks to my fellow Task Force member Rob Potter for the hospitality! Congratulations also go to Rob for receiving ARA’s Leadership Impact Award for 2022. This award recognizes an individual whose leadership benefited their state and/or local association and its members over the past year. Rob will be recognized for the award during The ARA Show™ in Orlando.
- ARA’s presence was on display again in September at Canadian Rental Mart in Mississauga, Ontario. In addition to a booth presence on the show floor, “Putting ARA Benefits to Work for You,” an informational session about all the latest ARA resources that can benefit rental businesses, was a featured session on Day One of the event.
- Online events like December’s cybersecurity tips session delivered by Network Coverage, ARA’s partner that provides information technology solutions and managed services, also provided a lot of value to members.
- It also was really exciting when ARA announced a few months back that it now offers insurance solutions to members across all Canadian provinces. Westland Insurance Group is the exclusive partner for the comprehensive insurance package, which is specifically designed to meet the needs of equipment and event rental businesses. Check out details on this program here.
That was a lot of momentum heading into 2023. What’s next? The ARA Show (Feb. 11-15 in Orlando) is just about here, and I look forward to seeing many of you in the Sunshine State. If you’re going, be sure to join us at the Canadian Happy Hour at The Hilton Orlando David’s Club & Grill on Sunday, Feb. 12 from 4–6 p.m. There will be cocktails, bites and invaluable conversations with fellow ARA members from Canada. A ticket is not required; just present your ARA Show badge to attend.
In closing, I would like to congratulate Doron Broadfoot of The Rent-It Store in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, who will be inducted to the Rental Hall of Fame during The ARA Show in Orlando. Doron is a giant in our industry, and he is well deserving of ARA’s most prestigious award.
Best wishes for a safe and prosperous month.
President, Happenings Party Rentals
Collingwood, Ontario, Canada